With the age of smartphones, we have never had more instant access to a plethora of incredible Bible teaching and information. One of the things that has been most beneficial to me this past year being a voracious podcast listener. With the power of smartphone technology I can listen to some solid information anytime and anywhere.
Why Should I Listen to Podcasts?
- Redeem the Time. Rather than Miley Cyrus sing Wrecking Ball for the 1,000th time on the radio, why don’t you listen to something that will equip you and grow you?
- Learn to Think. Listening to good conversation on deep issues helps you to think better yourself. It is like getting mentored by some of the best thinkers out there.
- Saturate Your Mind on Christ. As you listen to good Christian podcasts you will grow and mature in Christ as you think about him throughout the day.
When Should I Listen to Podcasts?
- As you get ready in the morning
- On your commute to and from work.
- Anytime your traveling
- While your doing mindless work like cleaning or mowing grass.
With the podcast app on the iPhone/iPad it is easy to subscribe and get automatic updates on some top notch podcasts. I know there are some great Droid solutions as well, but I’m Droid ignorant so you will have to google it for yourself. If you are new to podcasting or are looking for some new podcasts to add to your diet of consumption check out a few of my favorite podcasts that I listen to on a regular basis.
My Top Favorite Podcasts
- The Briefing by Dr. Al Mohler – Have you ever wanted to sit down and listen to one of the greatest Christian minds and thinkers today analyst the newspaper from a Christian worldview? If so, then you need to subscribe to this daily podcast. In addition to keeping you informed with whats happening in the world, it will teach you to think deeply and christianly about current events. As I start out my weekdays this is the first podcast I play while getting ready or on the morning commute.
- Ask Pastor John – Have a pressing or controversial question? Well John Piper takes them on in this podcast as he answers listeners questions. As usual, his insights and responsive are insightful and thoroughly biblical. You will be well served to add this podcast to your regular listening.
- Rainer on Leadership – The CEO of Lifeway, Thom Rainer, deals with leadership and churches on his weekly podcast. There is often some great practical discussion for pastors and church leaders.
- 5 Minutes in Church History – Church History is so beneficial, yet for many it can be boring and an overwhelming task. Church Historian, Dr Stephen Nichols, helps make church history fun and engaging with his five minute weekly podcast. If you want to learn more about what God has done in the past and learn lessons to be applied today check out this great new podcast.
- Thinking in Public – Dr. Al Mohler has a second stellar podcasts. In this one, he interviews many scholars and researchers on a variety of subjects and has an engaging conversation. It is like being a fly on the wall as intellectual superiors discuss and engage culture and history.
- This is Your Life – This podcast by Michael Hyatt has a lot of practical wisdom and insight. He deals a lot with leadership and productivity. It is a helpful and productive podcast to add to your list.
- The Dave Ramsey Show – This is the podcast of Dave Ramsey’s radio show. It is fun to listen to fun financial counsel and helpful as well. Finances and stewardship are vital issues in the Christian life that should not be neglected.
In addition to these Podcasts most churches offer their sermon audio through podcast. Here are a few sermon podcasts to check out.
- Forest Hills Baptist Church – Justin Deeter. I hear these are some good sermons ; )
- The Village Church – Matt Chandler
- The Church at Brook Hills – David Platt
- First Baptist Durham – Andy Davis
- SEBTS Chapel – Various
These are a few of my favorite podcasts. What are some of yours? Any I should add to my line up? Share with us in the comments below!